Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This question already has an answer here:

Especially in text, is there a clue in Japanese as to whether someone is being sarcastic, or is it as ambiguous as it is in English? And how do you form a sentence so as to make it obviously sarcastic?

Thank you very much.

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Dono, Dave M G, Zhen Lin, Earthliŋ, istrasci May 27 '13 at 15:25

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

this question is incredibly broad in scope. –  yadokari May 27 '13 at 3:41

I don't think I could even answer this question if it was asking about English. Could you perhaps reformulate it to be more specific? –  Darius Jahandarie May 27 '13 at 3:59
You do not be sarcastic in Japanese. Unless you like being met with lots of blank stares. –  Dave May 27 '13 at 4:25
@Dave This related question seems to suggest otherwise: Will verbal irony and sarcasm be understood and/or appreciated? –  Darius Jahandarie May 27 '13 at 4:31
Sarcasm, and irony, is done all the time in Japan. Let's dismiss the myth that Japanese are so culturally rigid and uniform that they are incapable of communication forms that any other culture can do. Japanese people can convey and receive any message that any other human can do, there are merely details about how. (Also: voted to close just because this question has been answered.) –  Dave M G May 27 '13 at 5:00
show 2 more comments

1 Answer 1

@user3538: In what sense do you wanna be like that? I mean being sarcastic is not formulated thing. You can talk in slang yet it does not always make you sarcastic. Even while saying a simple sentence you can be sarcastic according to its place and timing. It requires smartness and a bir of humour sense;) I don't think that anyone can help you about it because it differs for every person. So I think instead of asking "how to be" you should create one and ask for the translation :)

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.