Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've run across the expression/word a few times in manga, and generally the context indicates that it's a conjugation of する with the ~がる indication of "3rd party appearance of internal state" (as in 怖い -> 怖がる). Is this generally correct? If so, where the や comes from? or is this just yet another 'special' conjugation?

An example fragment I have here is:

いつも, すました顔しやがって...

(Context is a few moments before a love declaration... meaning is obvious enough)

Another example comes from pg 12 of the first QED manga, where an enraged player who has just lost a video game competition yells:

こっちの動き全部読んでますってな動きしやがってよ!!

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

This is 「する」の連用形+「やがる」 conjugated into て-form.

Basically やがる does not do much aside from make the sentence rougher. Technically, it express a disdain for the action it attaches to, but personally I think it's not quite so strict on usage. You hear it very often in anime-talk where everyone is trying to sound rough and manly. Generally not in real life unless it's a very tense situation, or the people are close enough for it to not be offensive (like in that first quote of yours).

Here is a question covering やがる in more detail: How to use the inflection "やがる"?

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.