Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In 桜桜 what do "いざや" and "見に行かん" mean, or rather why do they mean what they mean. I've never heard a term like いざや, and I've never seen 行く written as ゆく, nor have I seen an あん ending unless it was going to be あない.

share|improve this question
Please provide quoted examples and a less convoluted question. thanks –  yadokari May 26 '13 at 19:41
The song title is usually spelled in hiragana, and you can find a perfectly good translation on Wikipedia. –  Zhen Lin May 26 '13 at 21:33
add comment

2 Answers

Kohsuke Kawaguchi already answered your question, but I want to add a little bit of detail about ゆかん.

You wrote the following:

nor have I seen an an ending unless it was going to be あない.

This stem of the verb is called the 未然形{みぜんけい} in traditional Japanese grammar, and several things can attach to it besides the auxiliary ない. Historically, there was an auxiliary called , and this is what the ん represents in ゆかん in this song.

As an aside, the modern auxiliary (as in だろう) is derived from む, and it attaches to the 未然形{みぜんけい} as well, so you'd expect a form like ゆかう. However, over time the pronunciation of the vowels changed from /au/ to /o:/, and the modern Japanese spelling was changed to ゆこう to reflect this change. (Although it only partially reflects it, since the う is part of the long vowel /o:/. I wonder why they didn't change the spelling of う as well!)

Back on topic, an "an" ending can also represent the 未然形{みぜんけい} plus the negative auxiliary , which functions much like the auxiliary ない. (See this question for some discussion.) Since this ぬ can be contracted to ん, you'll see forms like 知らん and いかん. (In fact, this is also the ん in ありません.)

If you see an ending like this in modern Japanese, it's much more likely to be the negator ぬ than the historical auxiliary む, because the latter isn't part of the modern language. (Except, I think, in a few fossilized expressions like 言わんばかり.)

share|improve this answer

Thank you for your help! –  Anthony May 29 '13 at 1:06
add comment

いざ is an older expression that means "let us", and や is adding an emphasis.

As a Japanese I don't particularly feel odd that 行く is written as ゆく, especially because 行く has a risk of being read as いく.

~かん is another older expression that means "about to [do]".

I think the reason you feel odd about this whole sentence is that the whole thing uses expressions that are no longer actively in use.

share|improve this answer

Topic on いざ: japanese.stackexchange.com/q/5024/78 –  istrasci May 27 '13 at 15:27

Thank you for your help! –  Anthony May 29 '13 at 1:07
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.