Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Why do the counting words use a possesive particle?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

I don't think の is strictly a possessive particle when addressing quantities, much like the functionally overloaded に and で.

In Japanese, you can use counting words as prefix: 500グラムのバター or suffix: バター500グラム, so it acts more like a connective than a possessive particle anyway. If you look at 「全てのバター」 ("the butter of all" = all the (blocks of) butter) vs. 「バターの全て」 ("all of the butter") you might even /feel/ that there is a difference, though I think that difference is too obscure to make use of it.

Possessive particles are well-defined on (a subset of) the domain of (NP,NP), e.g. 「家族の友達」 and have their syntax reused for other domains, e.g. 緑の花 (the flower of green), 一個のパン (the bread of one).

It is possible to think of の as a substitute topic marker (は). Such is the reasoning for these phrases:

相手の日本人 or 日本人の相手?

What is the role of の in 「お父さんのバカ!」

share|improve this answer

I'm afraid I don't follow- even in the NP NP case の can mean possesion or something like は、 but I've never been taught that other meaning and it isn't は、can you explain in a different way? –  Anthony May 25 '13 at 23:26

Saying 家族の友達 can mean the family's friend, or the family that is a friend right? –  Anthony May 25 '13 at 23:27

Or 医者の友達、 can't it mean the doctor's friend or my friend that is a doctor right? –  Anthony May 25 '13 at 23:37

@Tony: 1. which example? 2. yes and yes 3. yes and yes. Let me point out that the interpretation as possessive is one of many that の can have. Look at 「子供の本」: "the book of the child(ren)", "a book for children", "a book by children", "a book made out of children...", these are all valid interpretations of the connective. The same interpretation you arrive at if you simply read "children-book" in English (because juxtaposition is heavily overloaded). –  Jens Jensen May 25 '13 at 23:59

So is the only way to know via context? –  Anthony May 26 '13 at 0:17

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.