Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am unsure how to translate the following phrase:

[散々]{さんざん}人{ひと}を待{ま}たせておいて最初{さいしょ}の一言{ひとこと}がそれか

My guess as to how this phrase translates is:

Is that the first thing people say to those who are waiting for them?

Is there a better way to translate this phrase?

share|improve this question

How is your translation looking so far? ^^; –  summea May 25 '13 at 1:09

Ehm... I'm not sure... I guess is something like "is that the first thing people say to those who are waiting for them?" –  kymyit May 25 '13 at 1:12
So is there a certain part of that phrase that you are unsure about? –  summea May 25 '13 at 1:24

all, I wasn't sure about my translation. –  kymyit May 25 '13 at 14:24
add comment

2 Answers

In contrast with user1205935's answer, I got the impression that 最初の一言 refers to the first words that were said and not the first words that should be said. If I were to insert an extra clarifying part into the Japanese, it would be

散々人を待たせておいて、(鈍感な)お前が言った最初の一言がそれか

and not

散々人を待たせておいて、気が効いてる礼儀正しい人の最初の一言がそれか

so I would translate liberally as

You kept me(/a person) waiting all this time, and that's the first thing out of your mouth?

share|improve this answer

The only thing I don't understand is, why it is "in contrast" to my answer. I understand the question in my answer to be rhetorical, about what was said, not about what should be said. In any case, you seem to have been more successful at putting that point across. –  Earthliŋ May 25 '13 at 22:18
add comment

The only thing I would translate differently is the causative form 待たせる, which doesn't mean just waiting, but to keep so. waiting.

散々人を待たせておいて最初の一言がそれか
Is that the first thing to say to people after keeping them flat out waiting?

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.