Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This is the question I was trying to ask when I made this question, but I guess I can't type or read or think.

I'm looking for the difference between 逃げる and 逃れる. I'm assuming it's something like the difference between "run away" and "escape", but which one is which?

And I'm aware that even "run away" and "escape" are pretty close even in English, but these things happen.

share|improve this question
There's a usage note on 大辞泉 (scroll down to the bottom). –  snailboat May 21 '13 at 1:24
This may be some help too? dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/thsrs/1604/m0u –  Choko May 21 '13 at 10:28

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

They both mean to "run away" or "escape", but 逃げる means this only physically while 逃れる means this physically or metaphorically (escape a bad situation, run from temptation, avoid responsibility, etc.)

share|improve this answer

"逃げる" often has more negative sense, especially when used in non-physical situations, while "逃れる" is more neutral. For example, 「彼はその仕事から逃げた」 usually implies he was not a serious worker. 「彼はその仕事から逃れた」 may mean he had a good reason for quitting the job. –  naruto Mar 27 at 18:52

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.