Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Screen shot of the game

I'm playing a video game (Final Fantasy VI), in which a character is reading her lines and stage directions for a play. The stage directions contain the following sentence:

この芝居を間奏の間にこなしてちょ

I don't understand こなしてちょ. I think it's the verb こなす inflected to こなし plus , and then ちょ added to that, but I don't know what ちょ is. I think this is some sort of command form.

My question: what is ちょ?

Here are my guesses:

1. こなしてちょ ← こなしててよ ← こなしていてよ
  2. こなしてちょ ← こなしてちょうだい

I think the first is plausible because it's similar to ちゃては, and I think the second is plausible because it's similar to the command form shortened from なさい. However, I can't tell if either of my guesses is correct. (I have a feeling I'm likely to be wrong...)

Sometimes 大辞林 lists colloquial contractions, so I decided to look it up. There is one entry for ちょ, but it doesn't seem like the right answer. It says it attaches to nouns and the roots of adjectives, and this doesn't seem like either of those. (But maybe can be considered a noun...?)

share|improve this question
I wasn't sure how to tag this question. If anyone would like to re-tag it with something more appropriate, it would be appreciated :-) –  snailboat May 20 '13 at 20:17
どこの辞書にも載ってないみたいで・・・detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1462443644 これくらいしか見つけられません –  Choko May 20 '13 at 20:40
そ~いえば・・・アラレちゃんって、予告編でいつも最後に「絶対見てちょ。ばいちゃ。」って言ってました。jikainoyokoku.blog23.fc2.com/blog-entry-1090.html ビデオはこれくらいしか・・・youtube.com/watch?v=YEAq_L0oeiE&list=PL0BB18D55321C9D33 (←26秒のところ) –  Choko May 20 '13 at 21:00

I don't have any evidence right now but I've seen this to mean ちょうだい many times.. is there a reason why people aren't going to that by default? –  ssb Aug 18 '13 at 5:30

This doesn't directly answer the question, but quoting the bottom of ffdic.wikiwiki.jp/…: "控え室では、コーラスの台本を読むことができるが、 「(この芝居を間奏の間にこなしてちょ。~ダンチョーより。)」なんて砕けた感じで書いてある。このセリフもこんな雰囲‌​気から出たのかもしれない。". IIRC the 団長 didn't really speak with a 方言, so I'm thinking they might've wanted him to sound cute/child-like here (ちょうだい itself is mainly used by children/women quoting Daijisen, so maybe that was the intended effect(???)) –  cypher Aug 19 '13 at 0:37
show 3 more comments

2 Answers

According to yutaro82さん on this Chiebukuro post, it sounds like this 「〜ちょ」 could possibly be part of 名古屋弁{なごやべん}.

Looking at this list of words within 名古屋弁{なごやべん} shows that「ちょう」can translate to the standard Japanese word「ください」.

Both of these references don't appear to give an exact reason as to why「ちょう」came to be used to mean「ください」(at least in 名古屋弁{なごやべん},) but your second guess (and in particular,「ちょうだい」) could very well be where this word originated... though I can't state that with absolute certainty.

share|improve this answer
add comment

According to this edit to the Wikipedia article on 名古屋弁, ちょ seems to be a shortened form of ちょうせ (the imperative form of ちょうす, which is the 尊敬語 form of くれる).

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.