Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

While studying Japanese through Rosetta Stone, I've run across these two sentences:

私は仕事に行きます。

私は仕事場にいます。

I'm confused as to why the first sentence doesn't use "仕事場" since the person is going to the workplace.

share|improve this question

ところで・・・「仕事にいます」とは言えない、ってことは分かっておられるんですよね? –  Choko May 22 '13 at 15:28
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 4 down vote accepted

仕事に行く is standard for "go to work", just as in English we don't tend to use 'go to the/my workplace', although you might use 'office' as an alternative if you work in one. I think the purpose is implied - you are going to move from your current location to another location, and work there.

仕事場 would be used if you wanted to clarify that you meant the location. If you were talking about visiting someone else's workplace, or going back outside working hours to pick something up, for example, you might use 仕事場 (or other terms such as 事務所{じむしょ} or 職場{しょくば}) instead of 仕事.

So when talking about physical location, 仕事場にいます is logical. If you wanted to just indicate that you are working, including if you were working from home, then something like 仕事中です can be used instead.

share|improve this answer
I frequently hear 仕事先 as well.. not that it matters I guess but hey –  ssb May 21 '13 at 12:42
Or バイト先! We could probably have an entire other question on the differences between vocab words for various workplaces. –  nkjt May 21 '13 at 14:29
add comment

The difference is the same as the difference in English between "work" and "place of work".

私は仕事に行きます。= I go to work.

私は仕事場にいます = I am in "my place of work" / "my/the office".

It is that easy - although

私は仕事に行きます。= is more likely than: 私は仕事場にいます行きます。

私は仕事場にいます。

share|improve this answer

ん?ちょっと改行する場所をミスってます? –  Choko May 22 '13 at 15:30
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.