Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What does "Sore ni taru 'kekka' nano desu" mean? It takes place here in Fairy Tail manga => http://online.mangaraw.net/Weekly-Shonen-Magazine-Vol-04-05-231-7911.html

And also, "samazamana omoi to omowaku ga rasen ga gotoku , iri midareru!!" sentence mean? Again a page from Fairy Tail manga => http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4180/235vs.jpg

I'm confused about these two, I hope anyone can help me, yoroshiku onegaishimasu :)

share|improve this question

closed as too localized by Dono, ssb, Flaw, snailboat May 23 '13 at 17:08

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Welcome to JLU! Straight translation questions are generally frowned upon (which is probably why you got a downvote). Please tell us which part of these sentences you have trouble with and which part you understand (and the meaning you get from it). –  Earthliŋ May 20 '13 at 13:25
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 3 down vote accepted

1) (~~に)たる is [足]{た}る/[足]{た}りる, meaning [十分]{じゅうぶん}な, "to be enough" >>> 足りるgoo辞書 #3
「(subject=あの方が予言した大魔闘演武の結果は、)それ(=国の未来を動かす/あの方を信じる)に足る(=のに十分な)結果(=あり得ない、特殊な結果)なのです」
(足る sounds more literary than 足りる.)

2) (~~が)ごとく(=如く) means (~~の)ように, "(just) like~~">>>如くgoo辞書 
[螺旋]{らせん}が[如]{ごと}く can be rephrased as [螺旋]{らせん}のように.
(如く sounds archaic.)

・・・ここでつまずいていらっしゃるんじゃないかな~と勝手に思って書きましたけど、的外れだったらすみません。

EDIT

1)

それに[足]{た}る結果なのです。-- It is that special.

I think the translation is alright; it's saying "It's special enough for that -- It's special enough to make me trust *that person*, special enough to affect the fate of this country".

●In this sentence, the subject is left out; "an unbelievable outcome" ie. "the results of Daimatou-Enbu which *that person* has predicted".
●それ(≠It) refers to あの[方]{かた}を[信]{しん}じる=for me to trust *that person*, and [国]{くに}の[未来]{みらい}を[動]{うご}かす=decide the fate of this country.
●[足]{た}る means "to be enough", so it's saying "The outcome / The results of Daimatou-Enbu that *that person* has predicted would be special enough to make me believe in him and entrust him with the fate of this country", ie. "The outcome is so unlikely to happen that I would have to trust *that person* and entrust him with the fate of this country if his prediction should come true."

2)

[様々]{さまざま}な[想]{おも}いと[思惑]{おもわく}が、[螺旋]{らせん}が[如]{ごと}く[入]{い}り[乱]{みだ}れる。
Various thoughts and expectations are jumbled together like a spiral

I think it's alright, I'm not sure it's the best translation though... because I don't really understand the nuance of "jumbled together" (Sorry T_T). I think the 入り乱れる here is like [絡]{から}み[合]{あ}う, "to get involved / intertwined" >> 絡み合うweblio
●I think the word [思惑]{おもわく} is used negatively, like... "ulterior motive" Weblio

share|improve this answer
"Sore ni taru" is confusing beacuse all are in written in hiragana. And here in English translation (tenmanga.com/chapter/FairyTail312/306726-22.html) "It is that special it says" but wouldn't be saying "Sonna tokubetsu na kekka nano desu" if it were saying "It is that special"? ***What I get it from "SORE NI TARU KEKKA NANO DESU" is "It is such a outcame which is inclined enough to effect". Is it proper? –  skip-beat May 20 '13 at 14:24

AND the other sentence. Various thoughts and expectations ga rasen ga gotoku, to be jumbled together!! ***Does it mean "Various thoughts and expectations are jumbled together like a spiral/circle"? –  skip-beat May 20 '13 at 14:25

Sorry I cannot read kanji withough its furigana T^T I could understand you answer well T.T –  skip-beat May 20 '13 at 15:35

@skip-beat Ahh I'll rewrite it later... sorry I'm sooo lazy I just write everything in Japanese –  Choko May 20 '13 at 18:14

Thanks and sumanu for troubling you ^^' –  skip-beat May 20 '13 at 18:16
show 3 more comments

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.