Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How would you translate the following sentences? 1/ Check the identity of any other person for whom you may have requested an extra card. 2/ She is the person to whom I sent the documents.

I always struggle when I have to translate "for whom" or "to whom". On the web, I found "添付ファイルを送る相手" to translate "person to whom one sends the attachment". Is this translation acceptable ? If I am correct, this may also mean "the person (or party) who sends the attachment". So I am really confused.

Thank you very much for your help.

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 0 down vote accepted

I think this falls into the area of appositives/relative clauses, as in the example you gave, but you can be tricky and get a little more specificity out of it:

送信した添付ファイルの宛先 <- explicit

代わりに(代表として)カードを要求した本人<- explicit>のアイデンティティを確認してください

I am confident in the first one, but you should bounce the second one off someone else, too.

share|improve this answer

I see ! Thank you very much for your answer. I guess my mistake was to try translating word for word. This is very useful, thanks again. –  Boulissou May 31 '13 at 0:52
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.