Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I found this YouTube comment:

きゃりーぱみゅぱみゅとっても可愛い〜(*ノ∀ノ)ダンスとか覚­えてみたいと思いまーすww

I'm not sure how to parse 覚­えてみたい. The context seems to make it have nothing to do with 覚る, and in any case the え 送り仮名 doesn't make a bit of sense with さとる. Is this a typo or some word not in my dictionary?

share|improve this question
Are you sure 覚{おぼ}える isn't in your dictionary? (Am I misunderstanding the question?) –  snailboat May 13 '13 at 18:48
facepalm Why did I not get that it is that word...I guess I need to brush up on kanji readings again. Apparently Google Translate's rōmaji converter is confused too, and thinks 覚 is "satoru". –  user54609 May 13 '13 at 20:17

@EricDong Interesting point about the 覚{さと}る reading, though :) –  summea May 13 '13 at 20:26

@snailboat @summea For me, rikaikun also didn't recognize おぼえる in this particular line of text, though for those in the answers it worked well. Seems like some software fault. –  firtree May 14 '13 at 7:42

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

From the given sentence, it sounds like someone is talking about how he/she is wanting to learn (or memorize) the dance moves and choreography of a song by the singer that goes by the name "Kyary Pamyu Pamyu".

In this case,「みたい」is actually a form of the verb「みる」which can mean "to try". When 「みる」is attached to a verb, it simply means: "to try" + verb. So when another form of「みる」is attached to a verb, the meaning will still have something to do with the idea of "to try".

Here is a breakdown of where 覚{おぼ}えてみたい comes from, in this case:

覚{おぼ}える = to learn, to memorize

覚{おぼ}えてみる = [I] will try to learn (or memorize)

覚{おぼ}えてみたい = [I] want to try to learn (or memorize)

share|improve this answer

覚­えてみたい = て-form of 覚える + みたい

I guess maybe I'm misunderstanding something about the question too.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.