Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I will use a specific example. I was trying to write "My love for you is hurting me."

"私の愛ために貴方は私を傷つけている。" Is what I came up with, however, I am unsure about the usage of "ために" in this situation.

And if it is incorrect, what would be the correct way to say "for"?

share|improve this question
愛ため is definitely wrong both for syntactic and semantic reasons. I think that 私のあなたへの愛 would be a literal translation of "my love for you", but I doubt its elegance. –  Earthliŋ May 11 '13 at 23:08

ために was the only thing I can find for "for" in my dictionary, so I had to try with that, heh. I see. Well, elegance doesn't really concern me, so it is a viable choice- I suppose it can be used in other situations where "my x for you" is being stated, right? –  ShiroiJiji May 11 '13 at 23:51

When you use ために with a noun, you usually put the particle between them, like 愛のために. –  snailboat May 12 '13 at 5:41

ために is more like "for the purpose of" or "for the sake of". For expressions like "my love for you", you need something closer to "towards" (which could be へ or への as others suggested). –  firtree May 12 '13 at 6:46

I see. Ah, so that's why "へ" is added. Thank you, both of you. –  ShiroiJiji May 12 '13 at 12:20

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Like user1205935 said, 私のあなたへの愛、 or あなたへの私の愛、 or あなたに対する私の愛 seems to be the translation. In my experience, things like "for you" get turned into statements of possession. The only other case I can think of is when thanking someone for something- you don't even use の, it just turns into 何何~ ありがとう。 為に is more along the lines of for the purpose, implying some end in mind- which in this case doesn't make sense.

share|improve this answer

Sorry, this was my first time ever answering something online. –  Anthony May 12 '13 at 0:34
Why do you apologize? –  Earthliŋ May 12 '13 at 0:35
あなたへの私の愛 sounds the best to me, and that answers my primary question, but I must ask this too- why is "へ" added? (And much gratitude for answering my question.) –  ShiroiJiji May 12 '13 at 0:58

I thought the quality was iffy. –  Anthony May 12 '13 at 1:00

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.