Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This is a two part question.

1.) When spelling out a word in kana, what is the correct way to call the small つ (for example the small っ in ちっちゃい)?

I only have experience with my Japanese friends using the informal sounding




Is there a formal grammatical term for this "character"?

2.) If there is, but in reality it sounds too academic, which term would be the most immediately understandable in an informal setting?

share|improve this question
It isn't the name for the character, but I often use 促音{そくおん} to refer to it, since that's what its function is. – Darius Jahandarie May 11 '13 at 19:15
up vote 5 down vote accepted

It appears that one more-formal way to describe characters like 「っ」 is to use the phrase 「小書{こが}き」文字{もじ} or simply「小書{こが}き」。 So, in the case of 「っ」, it would be something like: 小書{こが}きの「つ」.

But in an informal context, something like「小さい『つ』」would probably get the point across.

For more information, there is a more detailed writeup by a user named "nullstrings27" that further explains 小書{こが}き文字{もじ} in general.

share|improve this answer
Apparently 捨て仮名 is also an acceptable name as per detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1424710779 – ssb May 13 '13 at 14:22

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.