Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

As I learned, we can use もらう like this 「私は彼女に弁当を作ってもらいました。」, where noun before に(から) - giver and は(etc.) - reciever. But I saw sentence like

「もっとも・・・・・・そんな風になっちまった以上は、因縁なんざ意味がないだろう。悪いが俺に譲ってもらうぜ」 and the second one - enter image description here  

Where noun before に is not giver(though in second case it's には, so I'm not sure), but as far as I can tell - receiver. Can somebody please explain this part to me, thank you very much for help!

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

In 私は彼女に弁当を作ってもらいました,
([①私は][②彼女に][③弁当を作って]もらいました)
①私 is the receiver and ②彼女 is the giver.
ie. ②彼女 does ③お弁当を作る for ①私.

In 悪いが俺に譲ってもらうぜ,
(悪いが[①俺は][②お前に][③それを俺に譲って]もらうぜ)
①俺 is the receiver and ②お前 is the giver.
ie. ②お前 do ③それを俺に譲る for ①俺.

In [幼馴染]{おさななじみ}たちにはここで自由に過ごしてもらうようにしている,
([①菩乃花さんや自分(=the writer?)は][②幼馴染たちに(は=topical particle)][③ここで自由に過ごして]もらうようにしている)
①菩乃花さんや自分 are the receivers and ②幼馴染たち are the givers.
ie. ②幼馴染たち do ③ここで自由に過ごす for ①菩乃花さんや自分.
(菩乃花さんや自分 want 幼馴染たち to do ここで自由に過ごす.)

share|improve this answer
In the second example, how does 俺に become [①俺は][②お前に]? –  snailboat May 6 '13 at 0:52
@snailboat Both ①俺は and ②お前に are left out in the original sentence. The 俺に is still there in ③俺に譲って. (それを is left out/implied too.) –  Choko May 6 '13 at 1:09

Oh, I see! I missed that 俺に was in 3. –  snailboat May 6 '13 at 1:11
add comment

~てもらう can also mean "to have s.o. do sth.". In your first example

悪いが俺に譲ってもらうぜ。
Sorry, but I'll have you hand it over to me.

This usage obviously derives from the usage you already know, where もらう means "to receive".

Similarly for your second example:

ここで自由に過ごしてもらうようにしてる。
We are having them move around freely here.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.