Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

One of the kanji we recently learned in class was 着. We learned it could be used for to wear [着]{き}る, to arrive [着]{つ}く, and as either a "classifier for arrival" or a "counter for jacket".

In our homework, we have the following 2:

1. [六]{ろく}[時]{じ}[着]{ちゃく}
  2. [六]{ろく}[着]{ちゃく}

I am not sure how the classifier and counter work. This is what I think they mean:

1. 6 o'clock arrival (like as in an appointment)
  2. 6th arrival (as in the 6th person to arrive) or 6 jackets

Is this the correct way to use the kanji?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Yes, that is correct. I think it's usually more obvious, especially when they appear in paragraphs.

share|improve this answer

Does 6着 really mean '6th arrival' ? –  oldergod May 2 '13 at 4:08

Yes. You see this used a lot in a race. –  Kohsuke Kawaguchi May 2 '13 at 4:27

Then how do you say 6 arrivals? –  oldergod May 2 '13 at 4:31

I'm afraid I don't understand what the English phrase "6 arrivals" means. Can you make an example sentence that's a bit longer? –  Kohsuke Kawaguchi May 2 '13 at 4:44
着 as counter is only applicable to cloths, I think. If you are counting the total number of arrivals of something, you'd be using the counter appropriate for that something, as in 便 for airlines and 本 for buses/trains, etc. –  Kohsuke Kawaguchi May 2 '13 at 14:33

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.