Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How do you form relative clauses that involves first person action? For example : "There aren't people I can talk to". Basically my doubt is about all those questions that require a particle like "to", "ni" and the like, when you can't use V-te ageru/kureru/morau to explicitate who's doing what to whom..Don't know if it's clear >.<

share|improve this question

No, not really clear. But, "There aren't people I can talk to" could be translated as 話せる人々がいない. Maybe this already answers your question? –  Earthliŋ Apr 28 '13 at 10:31

Are you talking about ambiguous cases like 彼女が好きな彼? –  nkjt Apr 28 '13 at 11:15
doesn't 話せる人々がいない mean "there aren't people who can talk" ? –  Dandy Apr 28 '13 at 11:43
Or maybe Japanese just uses an ambiguous sentence like that? I try to give an additional example: "the person I wrote a letter to", where basic sentence is 人に手紙を書いた. Do you simply drop that に ? (something like 私が手紙を書いた人 ?) –  Dandy Apr 28 '13 at 11:49
@Dandy Yes...it's ambiguous... "the person I wrote a letter to" can be「私が手紙を書いた人」。「話せる人が(誰も)いない。」「話す人が(誰も)いない。」「しゃべる人がいない。」etc. can be read as "I have no one I can talk to" and "There's no one who can talk". (「話す相手がいない。」「しゃべる相手がいない。」would be "I have no one to talk to".) –  Choko Apr 28 '13 at 23:10

1 Answer 1

up vote 0 down vote accepted

I think you might find the explanation of agency you are looking for in the introduction to the Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar (which I have not got to hand right now) but the other approach is to think of different ways of conveying what you want to say eg

"There aren't people I can talk to".

(which even in English feels like a rather clumsy construction anyway(?))

= There is nobody I can talk to/with = There is nobody who can talk to/with me

= 僕と話せる人がいない

or perhaps even;

僕と話せる人は誰もいない

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.