Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

First of all, hi everyone.

In the beginning of an anime episode I often see a message to turn on the lights in the room and not to sit too close to the screen. Leaving some stuff out it looks like this:

テレビアニメを見る時は、近づきすぎないようにして見てくださいね。

Note the bolded parts. I have 2 questions.

I looked up づき in the dictionary, it's like "to be attached, to be included". Does づき make it a verb? An adverb? Or what is it? Is it a state "being attached to a TV"? Or is it an action "do not attach yourself to a TV"?

2nd question about ようにして見る. As I understand ようにする is "to try". So as て-form + みる. Doesn't it make it kind of redundant to use both at the same time? Is it common?

Thanks guys.

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 7 down vote accepted

For the first situation, づき is not its own word. It's part of the verb 近{ちか}づく, which means "to get near," which has been conjugated to fit the ~すぎる construction, so it becomes 近づきすぎる, or "get too close."

You have a slight misunderstanding on the second one. While ~てみる does have the meaning of try in many situations, this is a case where it doesn't and in fact it is using the literal meaning of 見る. Your clue to this can be the fact that the 見る is written with kanji whereas in the てみる "try" construction it is usually written without kanji.

So to break it down a little more, 近づきすぎないようにして means something like "be careful that you're not too close," and connected to 見る it's advising you not to sit too closely to the TV when watching.

share|improve this answer
This clears about everything that puzzled me. Many thanks! Very good explanation. –  dimadesu Apr 25 '13 at 14:09

is the よう in the ようにして here meaning "state"? As in, "Please watch this, 'in the state' of not being too close." ? –  yadokari Apr 27 '13 at 12:29

@yadokari そうそう、この「よう」は漢字で書くと、「様」。「~~しないように気を付けてください」「~~しないよう、ご注意ください」というときの。 –  Choko Apr 28 '13 at 23:29

@Chocolate、説明してくれてありがとうございます〜 –  yadokari Apr 29 '13 at 12:27

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.