Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm not sure if this off-topic for this site but I would like to know what "正宗で大根を切る。 言い出しっぺ。" means. I tried translating it through google but I don't think it translated it properly. I found this on a user's profile.

Thanks!

share|improve this question
I don't think these two phrases are related, even though they're both in Robusto's profile. –  snailboat Apr 21 '13 at 23:57

english.stackexchange.com/questions/11598/… Read the comments. –  kerochan Apr 22 '13 at 1:24
It would help of you could be specific about what you don't understand, or what you've translated so far. As it is I'm afraid I'm going to vote to close as this is too close to a pure translation question. –  silvermaple Apr 22 '13 at 23:01
@silvermaple For what it's worth (and after checking the relevant FAQ-related information on translations,) it would seem to me that this type of question is more than a standard "dictionary lookup" translation... because it ultimately involves the meaning behind the ideas presented (not just the words in and of themselves.) In other words, it's not necessarily a word-for-word translation question. :) –  summea Apr 22 '13 at 23:25
@summea: I did sort of debate with myself as the phrases do seem to be idiomatic which is a bit more than a standard dictionary look-up. I don't think it will be closed at this point, especially with you're very good answer :) @ gekkostate, next time if you can just tell us what Google translated it to, and/or why that doesn't sit right/what you don't understand, I think it would be perfectly fine >^.^< –  silvermaple Apr 24 '13 at 1:07

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

「大根{だいこん}を正宗{まさむね}で切る{きる}。」 essentially means "Using a precious sword (a Masamune) to cut an everyday daikon." It's an example of using something very important for something mundane. For example, if someone earned a Doctor of Philosophy but the only job they ended up doing after graduation involved teaching a kindergarten class, this expression could be used.

「言{い}い出{だ}しっぺ」 is an expression that has to do with the idea that if a speaker initially brings up an issue in conversation (or initially puts the blame of something on someone else,) it probably means that the problem lies with the speaker. In other words, "He who smelt it, dealt it."

share|improve this answer
Could you please provide some text that can show me to pronounce it? –  Jeel Shah Apr 22 '13 at 0:25
@gekkostate Sure thing; sorry about that! In romaji, those phrases would be: "daikon (w)o masamune de kiru" and the second phrase would be: "iidashippe" :) –  summea Apr 22 '13 at 1:06

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.