Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am currently practicing Japanese by reading a novel but I have reached a sentence that I could not understand. ごうと音がして Can you please translate the vocabulary and verb used along with any unique sentence structure/grammar it may have. Thank you.

If it helps, the full context is 「問答、無用」 ごうと音がして、魔女の手の中で火炎が燃え盛る。 I understand that the beginning reads "These questions are useless" and the last part reads "Fire blazed from inside the witch's hand," but I have no clue about the middle part.

share|improve this question

[問答無用]{もんどうむよう} is idiomatic. "No ifs, ands or buts" –  Chocolate Apr 21 '13 at 15:36
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 6 down vote accepted

ごうと音 is a sound, a short version of ごうごうと meaning "thundering". The full sentence then would be something like

ごうと音がして、魔女の手の中で火炎が燃え盛る。
There was a thundering sound and fire blazed from the hands of the witch.

The と indicates that ごう is used as adverb.

share|improve this answer
add comment

"ごう" is an onomatopoeic word and you know that the fire blazes furiously. Japanese can hear sound of "ごう" from furiously burning fire.

"ごうと音がして" could be translated into "with a roar".

share|improve this answer
"ごう" is an onomatopoeic word>>I agree. I think it's the same structure as "ポン!と音がして、鍋の中でポップコーンがはじけ飛ぶ。" –  Chocolate Apr 21 '13 at 13:03

If I translate "ごうと音がして" into "with a burner-like sound", does it make sense? Actually I would like to turn "with a roar" into another expression. How about "with a burner-like sound"? –  kerochan Apr 22 '13 at 13:18

@kerochan Hmm... I'm not sure about "with a burner-like sound". The burners on my stove don't make any sound, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to imagine when I read that phrase. –  snailboat Apr 23 '13 at 0:45

@snailboat Thank you very much. There are differences in what each of us imagines in seeing the word of "burner" or "バーナー". I didn't take that into consideration. I will try to find other phrases for "ごうと音がして". –  kerochan Apr 23 '13 at 4:30

I think the ごう is a similar sound to ぼう/ぼっ ejje.weblio.jp/content/burst+into+flames (ぼっと燃える=burst into flames)... the sound of something bursting into flames, or the sound of flames burning, like the sound that a match makes when it's ignited and starts to burn. –  Chocolate Apr 27 '13 at 14:55
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.