Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

ベルボーイがいますから、にもつをもたくなくてもいいです。

The sentence above has --for me-- some confusing verb tensing. In particular, もたくなくてもいい. This much I think I understand: Because there is a bellboy, I don't need to want to hold the luggage. Is this: ベルボーイがいますから、にもつをもたなくてもいいです。 different from the original sentence?

In short, what is もたくなくてもいい supposed to convey that もたなくてもいい doesn't or can't?

share|improve this question

closed as too localized by ssb, Earthliŋ, Flaw, snailboat Apr 13 '13 at 0:55

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Looks like a typo to me. Should be 持たなくてもいい. I don't think there's a verb もる that would make sense at all. It can't be "want to carry" because that would be 持ちたい or 持ちたくない as a negative. –  ssb Apr 12 '13 at 6:05

Where did this sentence come from? :) –  summea Apr 12 '13 at 23:14
add comment

1 Answer

もたくなくてもいい doesn't make sense at all. If this is from a native speaker of Japanese, it could be a dialect, but it's so uncommon. It should be 持たなくてもいいです。If you want to say something like, "you/I don't have to want to carry/hold it" 持ちたくなくてもいいです but it doesn't sound natural in this context "ベルボーイがいますから."  持ちたくなかったら、持たなくてもいいです is good.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.