Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the difference between Konnichiwa and Konbanwa? Is it appropriate to use either one in everyday conversations?

share|improve this question
To help get you started, "konnichi wa" can be used as a general greeting (often during daytime hours) whereas "konban wa" tends to be used during evening hours. –  summea Apr 9 '13 at 6:26
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

They are both common greetings. The "ban" in "konbanwa" means "evening". The "nichi" in "konnichiwa" means "day".

We use "ohayou gozaimasu" before about 10:30 am, "konnichiwa" after about 10:30 am, and "konbanwa" in the evening.

share|improve this answer

i actually just got to work at 1:30 and everyone said ohayou gozaimasu lol. i am so confused with how they handle time cuz even at like 7-8:00, i hear people say konnichwa –  david May 16 at 5:01
add comment

Konnichiwa is MAINLY used as an Greeting as in "Hello" While Konbanwa is used to greet people in the evening.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.