Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

My Japanese lesson has an oral exam, the title is しゅみについて. Can anyone explain what is the meaning of the title? Can I start the conversation with this? しゅみについてどう思いか?

share|improve this question
Do you mean しゅみ(趣味) as in "hobby"? –  istrasci Apr 8 '13 at 19:12

@istrasci:yes, you are right –  Idonknow Apr 8 '13 at 19:19
Edited title and body for correct spelling. –  istrasci Apr 8 '13 at 19:35
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 2 down vote accepted

The title sounds like the exam is "about your hobbies".

It might be a good idea to begin by talking about your hobbies... or, perhaps, by asking your conversation partner about their hobbies.

I would not recommend using "しゅうみについてどう思いか?", though. You might want to start out by using something simple like: __さん/__先生のしゅみはなんですか?

share|improve this answer

Thanks. By the way, is the following sentence correct? 私はミステリーだアニメが好きです。 –  Idonknow Apr 8 '13 at 19:22

What are you wanting that sentence to say? –  summea Apr 8 '13 at 19:23

I like mysterious anime. –  Idonknow Apr 8 '13 at 19:26

@Idonknow Just out of curiosity, have you gone through any lessons in class? Or has class just begun recently...? –  summea Apr 8 '13 at 19:42

the lesson is ending soon. I have learned plain form and noun modification. So I want to use noun modification. Is the sentence above correct? –  Idonknow Apr 8 '13 at 19:49
show 2 more comments

As @summea said, the title of the exam is "About your Hobbies". As you said that it is an oral exam, I would expect your teacher to ask you questions about your hobbies, such as 趣味【しゅみ】は何【なん】ですか? Or if you are the one asking questions, you should ask questions like that. There are many appropriate answers to questions of this sort, but they include:

• 趣味【しゅみ】はアニメを見【み】ることです。
  • 本【ほん】を読【よ】むことが好【す】きです。

Most importantly, use what you've learned!

As an aside, しゅみについてどう思いか would be a strange thing to say, because a) it is grammatically incorrect, and b) it is somewhat off-topic. The correct grammatical form would be 趣味【しゅみ】についてどう思【おも】いますか, and that would be a bit better, but I don't think "What do you think about hobbies?" is really the question you want to be asking under these circumstances.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.