Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have a question regarding えば〜ほど。My understanding of it is that it means, the more/less (property), the more/less (property).

If I want to say, the more experiences one has, the more ~ , should it be

経験があればあるほど、〜

or

経験が多ければ多いほど、〜

The second one seems slightly confusing to me, because in many example sentences that I see, such as

その本は、読めば読むほどわからなくなる The more you read the book, the less you will understand it.

the more/less part is embedded in the construction えば〜ほど, so the second option 経験が多ければ多いほど、〜 would translate into: The more more experiences one has. Am I getting it wrong?

Thanks in advance!

share|improve this question
Both sound alright to me^^ –  Choko Apr 6 '13 at 13:48

How do you arrive at that translation? The literal translation would be something like "If experiences are many, to the extent that they are many..." –  dainichi Apr 8 '13 at 1:58

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Both examples are OK (I'd probably say 経験を積めば積むほど). In fact, if anything the first one sounds slightly off.

When used on verbs, the way I think of this expression is that it represents a repeating of an act, or to keep on doing something. So when I hear it with a verb like ある that represents a state of something, it feels little bit strange.

On adjectives, the way you think of it is that it represents a sliding scale and correlation of one property to another. As in 多ければ多いほどよい、美しければ美しいほど敵が増える、etc. What's embedded in the construction is the notion of correlation, and not more/less.

Another way to put it is that, unlike the English expression "the more experiences one has", "れば~ほど" does not work with nouns.

share|improve this answer

"れば~ほど" does not work with nouns - Not true according to one of my grammar books. I'll have to find the example later since I don't have it with me, but it's something along the lines of ビジネスマンのほど〜 → "The better you are at being a business man ..." / "The more of a (good) business man you are ..." –  istrasci Apr 8 '13 at 15:00

ビジネスマンのほど~ doesn't make sense to me, but if you find an example, please let me know. –  Kohsuke Kawaguchi Apr 13 '13 at 14:55

From my book: 優れた営業マンほど客の声に耳を傾け、外の人の批判にも謙虚になれるものだ。 –  istrasci Apr 13 '13 at 19:05

There's no れば part in that sentence, though. –  Kohsuke Kawaguchi Apr 17 '13 at 3:15

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.