Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm trying to write a simple japanese composition using phrases i have learnt (yes, it's a homework). And I encountered a number of questions and would greatly appreciate any advice.

Below I have listed what I intend to say in english, and my translation. I have bolded the parts which I am unsure of whether the usage is correct.

1. His birthday is on 28 January and he is 25 years old this year.
    たんじょうびはいちがつにじうはちにちです。そしてことしにじうごさいです。
    >>Is my usage of そして to join the sentence correct here? Also, is ことし necessary?
  2. He has 4 members in his family.
    Peter-さんのごかぞくはよにんです。
    >>Should I be using ごかぞく or just かぞく here?
  3. Every Friday after class, we go out to eat lunch. He is very stingy, so we always go to cheap restaurants.
    まいきんようびいっしょにレストランでひるごはんをたへます。かれはとてもけちですから、いつもやすいのレストランへいきます。
    >>Should I use 私たしたち or いっしょに? For the second bolded part, I'm not even sure if it makes sense in japanese.
  4. I like to eat spicy food, but he does not.
    わたしはからいたべものがだいすきですが、かれはからいたべものがすきじゃありません
    >>Is this correct? It does not seem too elegant if you ask me.
  5. After, we sometimes watch movies at cinemas.
    それから、ときとえいがかんでえいがをみます。
    >>Is my usage of ときどきhere correct?
  6. We like action movies because we lack action in our life.
    わたしたちのせいかつはあまりおもしろいくないですから、アクションのえいががすきです。
    >>Is my translation here accurate? Does this sentence make sense?
  7. We love to drink and smoke.
    わたしたちはおさけをのみますとたばこをすいますがだいすきです。
    >>Is it necessary to have をのみます and をすいます here?
  8. Often, we do it all over again on saturday too.
    よこ、どようびはもいちどします。
    >>This is probably all wrong, yea?
  9. This summer I will go on a phillipines trip with him.
    はちがつからのやすみにオーストラリアりょこうする
    >>Do I need to end with a です for this sentence?

Phew. I hope my formatting makes it a little more bearable! Thanks for looking through!

share|improve this question
Hello! Welcome to JLU! It appears that you're asking nine unrelated questions. On this site, it's best if you ask one question at a time. Could you please edit your post and remove the eight of the questions? (You can post additional questions separately later.) –  snailboat Apr 4 '13 at 16:26
add comment

closed as not a real question by ssb, snailboat Apr 4 '13 at 16:34

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

1 Answer

up vote 0 down vote accepted

1. そして is fine here, but I would say そしてことし25さいです to emphasize this year.
  2. Just かぞく; use ごかぞく when you're speaking to him about his family

ごかぞくはおげんきですか?

3. You're fine with just いっしょに IF you've already established 私たち is a previous sentence/context. Otherwise put both. The second part should be something like メニューのやすいレストラン.
  4. Correct
  5. Correct
  6. Translation is OK, but I'd say something like "Since our lives aren't very interesting..." In this context, I suppose "lacks action" is OK, but that's not a direct translation. The Japanese sentence is fine though.
  7. This is incorrect. To nominalize a verb, you need the dictionary form + の/こと. So the sentence should be 私たちはおさけをのむこととたばこをすうことことがだいすきです。
  8. よく, not よこ; もういちど, not もいちど
  9. No, do not end this with です, plus it should be オーストラリアへのりょこうにいきます or more simply オーストラリアにいきます. For with him, you forgot to add かれと. Also, the katakana says "Australia" even though you wrote "Phillipines".
I realize you're probably a beginning, but man it's hard to read and write only in kana!

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.