Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Topology in English is called 位相幾何学 in Japanese; also, topological space is called 位相空間. But why is topology called 位相幾何学? What is the correspondence between topo and 位相? What is the origin of 位相?

share|improve this question

There might not be a direct correspondence. I don't see one between topo- and 位相, nor between -logy and 幾何学. Good question, though! –  snailboat Apr 2 '13 at 13:20
Not related to your specific question, but I really like this question about the origin of mathematical terminology in Japanese (in this case the origin of "functor"). –  Earthliŋ Apr 2 '13 at 13:44

@snailplane Although the subject is called 位相幾何学, the concept of a topology (as in collection of open sets) is just called 位相 in Japanese. So we really need a correspondence 位相 <=> topology. –  Earthliŋ Apr 3 '13 at 14:04

Recall that in English, names of disciplines often stand for the objects they study, where as in Japanese, they have different names. Thus topology can be translated in Japanese 位相 or 位相幾何学, depending on the context. To make things more complicated, topology usually stands for application of topological notions to geometry, not a study of topological spaces themselves (which is usually called general topology or point-set topology), which is why the word 幾何 comes into play. –  Pteromys Aug 16 '13 at 15:12

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

The correspondence isn't direct; if 位相幾何学 were loan translated into English it would be 位相 (topological) 幾何学 (geometry).

Interestingly, though, 位相 means phase (i.e. of a sinusoidal function) as well as topology, and that means that the term 位相空間 is ambiguous between phase space (in physics) and topological space (in mathematics).

EDIT: To clarify the etymology:

The first morpheme in topology is Gk. τόπος 'place', which corresponds to 位 (position). I would suggest that 相 in this context means 'aspect', 'behaviour', and not 'mutual' (its other sense). In Chinese, the two senses of 相 have different readings (xiang4 vs xiang1). Putting it all together, the term 位相 refers to the disposition of place -- that is, how the place is arranged; in other words, its topology.

share|improve this answer
But where does the term 位相 come from? –  ssb Apr 2 '13 at 14:33

A bit of googling reveals that there are other usages of the word 位相, such as this I'm curious where the word came from, too. –  Kohsuke Kawaguchi Apr 2 '13 at 15:01
The first morpheme in topology is Gk. τόπος 'place', which corresponds to 位 (position). I would suggest that 相 in this context means 'aspect', 'behaviour', and not 'mutual' (its other sense). In Chinese, the two senses of 相 have different readings (xiang4 vs xiang1). Putting it all together, the term 位相 refers to the disposition of place -- that is, how the place is arranged; in other words, its topology. –  jogloran Apr 3 '13 at 2:38

Thanks, but there is one point remained unclear to me:what is 'position' in topology? A topological space merely defined by 'what is open set', whereas 'position' seems need to be defined in vector space... –  Popopo Apr 3 '13 at 15:15
@Popopo: Euler referred to early topological concepts as constituting a geometria situs (geometry of place) as opposed to physical geometry which accounts for lengths and distances, and the Japanese is a precise calque of this. –  jogloran Apr 4 '13 at 0:44

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.