Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I started playing another old game, Game Boy Wars Advance 2, and I ran across this bit of dialogue:

ま、どのみち、マクロランドに行きゃあ
いやでも戦わなきゃなんねえんだ。

I think this is something like:

ま、どのみち、マクロランドに行けば
いやでも戦わなければならないのだ。

Thanks to a helpful comment by Tsuyoshi Ito, I learned that おけば can be contracted to おきゃ. More generally, I learned that e + ば can be contracted to (small や). Based on this rule, I'm guessing that 行きゃ is a contraction of 行けば.

Of course, the dialogue I quoted says 行きゃあ, not 行きゃ. My guess is that e + ば can also be contracted to ゃあ, and based on this I guess that both 行きゃあ and 行きゃ are contracted forms of 行けば. Is this correct?

(My other guess is that perhaps it's 行ければ...?)

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

The extra あ only comes from lengthening the きゃ and could equally well have been written 行きゃ~. Just in the middle of the sentence it looks better as 行きゃあ.

The sound is lengthened, because there is a small break when saying the sentence. For example, in

行きゃいいじゃねぇか
Why don't you go?

a lengthening wouldn't be natural.

I presume if you really want, 行ければ can also be contracted to 行きゃ, but 行けりゃ probably works better.

share|improve this answer

Do you think the same thing about ちゃ and ちゃあ? In that case, I thought the あ was the uncontracted /a/ from は, but I just realized the dictionary doesn't say which it is. –  snailboat Mar 31 '13 at 3:54

Oh, definitely. Whether you want ちゃ or ちゃあ only depends on the position in the sentence, not so much on the meaning. In both cases ては becomes ちゃ and あ is only added for lengthening, if natural in the flow of the sentence. –  Earthliŋ Mar 31 '13 at 3:58
I found a post by Bart Mathias about ちゃあ and ちゃ groups.google.com/group/sci.lang.japan/msg/a276c9c0c4e5a8e1 –  snailboat May 10 '13 at 12:19

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.