Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Help me please with translation 働かせっぱなし in the following sentence

それって、朝からずっと働かせっぱなしの人間に対して、掛ける言葉じゃ、ないと思うんだけど

enter image description here

The main problem is that I cannot understand how to correctly translate 働かせっぱなしの人間, could it be "person who is forcing somebody to work" or "person who is forced by somebody to work", while I think that the second one would be passive form 「*働かせられ*っぱなしの人間」it seems to me better with context... I'm sorry for my bad english, and thanks for help.

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Loose translation.

He is has been working since the morning. She comes in and says

Hey, being exhausted from this little bit... Don't you think you're just a bit out of shape?

He replies

That's not exactly something you'd tell someone, who has been working here since the morning.

働かせる is "to make so. work"; っぱなし means to do something and let it stay that way, although whatever was done should really have been undone. An alternative translation would be

それって、朝からずっと働かせっぱなしの人間に対して、掛ける言葉じゃ、ないと思うんだけど
That's not exactly something you'd tell someone, who has just been left working here since the morning.

The reason why the passive can't be used here is that っぱなし means "to do sth. and leave it that way", whereas 働かせられる is passive (i.e. not active). 働かせられっぱなし sounds like he's left himself being put to work, when he should really have stopped. So in this case, 働かせっぱなし doesn't refer to an action by 人間, which would be natural, but to someone else.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.