Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

[…] その天の命により、陛下がこのたび皇帝として即位し、天下を平和にし、文明を一層促進するための治世を開かれました。

My rough interpretation:

By virtue of the Mandate of Heaven, Your Majesty now sits on the throne as an emperor, keeps all the world in peace and launched a policy to promote culture more than ever (?)

I'm really not sure about the last part, can someone help me? Thank you in advance :)

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Flaw, Dono, Earthliŋ, Eiríkr Útlendi, mirka Nov 17 at 20:13

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Questions asking for translations are off-topic unless prior research effort is clearly indicated; we're here to help you learn, not provide a bulk translation service. See: We don't do translations." – Flaw, Dono, Earthliŋ, Eiríkr Útlendi, mirka
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

1 Answer 1

文明 is "civilization". I would say the last part would be "and reigns to bring peace to the world and to yet further civilization".

share|improve this answer
thank you istrasci – Dandy Mar 28 '13 at 19:52

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.