Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I read 遅ランチ and while I think the meaning is pretty clear ("late lunch" unless I'm mistaken), I wasn't sure how to read it. I wanted to say おそ, but the lack of okurigana suggests to me that isn't the case. This leads me to guess that it's which is the on'yomi. Is it 遅{ち}ランチ, or is the okurigana implied perhaps, i.e. 遅{おそい}ランチ, or am I over thinking this and it's just 遅{おそ}ランチ.

Or D: None of the above.

share|improve this question
Another possibility could be おくれランチ, although I happen to agree with @user1205935's answer below. –  istrasci Mar 28 '13 at 15:46
「はやめし」「はやべん」って言うし、「おそめし」「おそべん」「おそランチ」になるのかな?(「はやばん」「おそばん」は関係ないか~) –  Chocolate Mar 28 '13 at 17:01

@Chocolate 「はやい」っても「い」がなくなるんですか~知らなかった =^。^= –  silvermaple Mar 28 '13 at 17:11

漢字で書くと・・・ [早番]{はやばん} ・ [遅番]{おそばん} ← 勤務時間のこと、[早飯]{はやめし} ・ [早弁]{はやべん} ← 早めにとる食事(弁当)のこと。「[早便]{はやべん}」「早いウ×コ」ではありませ((殴 –  Chocolate Mar 29 '13 at 20:24
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 5 down vote accepted

I think 遅いランチ is quite common, and so is 遅め(の)ランチ. In either case 遅 is read おそ, so I would think 遅ランチ is just a shortening to be read as おそランチ.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.