Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Tell me please, what is the meaning of お納めになられる in the following sentence. enter image description here

Is it just passive ? Thanks for help!

share|improve this question

I might be misreading this but I don't see it as honorific. Looks like she's telling お兄さん to tell the landlord/manager/whatever that the rent will be paid –  ssb Mar 27 '13 at 12:38

@ssb You are right, I should have read it more carefully. –  Earthliŋ Mar 27 '13 at 12:58

I'm not really sure since it ends with that ようにと... like technically she's saying that the landlord should pay the rent, I guess? @DarkAkira does the landlord paying the rent make sense in the context of this story? If that's the case then the なられる is honorific. –  ssb Mar 27 '13 at 13:25

Ok the more I go over this the more I'm convinced that there's just something wrong with it. Either it's a mistake or we're missing context or I'm making a mistake somewhere. –  ssb Mar 27 '13 at 13:32
I agree that it seems like 二重敬語 (which is grammatically incorrect). –  istrasci Mar 27 '13 at 16:44

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

The 納める in どうか管理人さんにちゃんとお納めになられるようにと... means "to receive, take, accept, [受領]{じゅりょう}する, [受]{う}け[取]{と}る, [受納]{じゅのう}する" (No.2 in http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/jn2/30841/m0u/ ). I think お納めになられる (お納めになる+れる) is what is called [二重敬語]{にじゅうけいご}("double honorific"?), and according to this page http://wol.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/topics/20100507/106978/?P=2 お納めになる / 納められる seem to be more appropriate. I think お納めくださる or お納めいただく would sound a bit politer.

share|improve this answer
「にじゅうけいご」が「にじゅうひてい」になってもうとるやんけ –  dainichi Mar 29 '13 at 0:43

ああ ほんまや!wwwwwwwww –  Choko Mar 29 '13 at 1:01

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.