Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm curious what the numerical base the Japanese used before their introduction to the wider western world.

I've been taught in my Japanese language classes that they move the comma to a different place (1'0000 rather than 1,000) but that's just a question of notation and have learned that there have been a great number of loan words in Japanese.

I'm curious what they used before they met the Portuguese, for example, in 1543.

share|improve this question

migrated from math.stackexchange.com Mar 27 '13 at 1:53

This question came from our site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields.

See the Wikipedia article on counting rods. –  snailboat Mar 27 '13 at 2:34

Wikipedia has a list of cultures that use (or used) bases other than 10. –  Quppa Mar 27 '13 at 2:55

1 Answer 1

You may wish to read Japanese numerals. So 1'0000 is called , which is also used in Greek as myriad.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.