Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was corrected on Lang-8 website that I should write 楽しみ!or 楽しみにしています!instead of 楽しみに!. And I don't understand why.

Help please. 教えてくださいませんか。

share|improve this question

What made you think it might be right? –  dainichi Mar 23 '13 at 14:34

At the end of anime episode they usually write 次回お楽しみに or つづく. –  dimadesu Mar 23 '13 at 16:00
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 13 down vote accepted

If you're talking about yourself you can't really use it that way. Ending it with に makes it sound like a kind of friendly request, like in お大事に. As such it sounds like you're telling someone "楽しみにしてください" because of the に ending. For yourself you just say 楽しみ or 楽しみにしています. Generally do not leave a に dangling by itself at the end to refer to your own feelings.

I'll piggyback off of Chocolate's beautiful comment for extra clarity:

• 楽しみです and 楽しみにしています represent the speaker's feelings as the subject of the sentence. So "I" am looking forward to something. This is shortened to 楽しみ in casual speech.
  • お楽しみに, on the other hand, is a shortened way of saying 楽しみにしていてください, addressed to someone, a way of telling someone to look forward to something. It has an imperative feel.
share|improve this answer

Thanks. That's quite interesting. But what makes 楽しみにしています different? –  dimadesu Mar 23 '13 at 16:02

@dimadesu It's just a full sentence that removes ambiguity. お楽しみに is a way of saying 楽しみにしてください, so if you say just that then it will be interpreted that way and thus seem odd. –  ssb Mar 24 '13 at 8:50
@dimadesu 楽しみ! is the shortened form of 楽しみです, similar in meaning to 楽しみにしています. The subject for 楽しみです and 楽しみにしています is the speaker, ("I" am looking forward~~/私は○○が楽しみです/私は○○を楽しみにしています), whereas the subject in お楽しみに(+ね)! and 楽しみにしていてください is "you", the hearer(s), cos these are more like the imperative. –  Choko Mar 24 '13 at 14:39

@ssb:Chocolate's answer is worth adding to yours to make it complete. –  Tim Mar 24 '13 at 14:50

Thanks Chocolateさん, now it makes it 100% clear! –  dimadesu Mar 24 '13 at 18:30
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.