Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Here's the sentence:

あるいはまた、東南アジアを中心に世界各地で活躍するいわゆる華僑勢力の多くが福建省出身者である事実を見ても、福建人たちの「海外雄飛」のパワーを知ることができる。

My rough translation is something like:

"Moreover, looking also at the fact that a large part of [...] are natives of Fujian, it is possible to understand the power of people from Fujian in going overseas"

What troubles me most is that 華僑勢力: shouldn't 多く refer to 華僑 ("a large number of the so-called overseas Chinese merchants")?

Also, does 東南アジアを中心に世界各地で活躍する mean "active all over the world and particularly in South-East Asia"? How would I use this X を中心に Y pattern?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

中心 means center and を中心に(して) means "as center". Like you suggested,

東南アジアを中心に世界各地で活躍する
active all around the world, with South-East Asia as center of activity

Also, 多く should not refer to 華僑, 多く stands for many, in the sense of many people.

My rough translation would be

あるいはまた、東南アジアを中心に世界各地で活躍するいわゆる華僑勢力の多くが福建省出身者である事実を見ても、福建人たちの「海外雄飛」のパワーを知ることができる。
Moreover, considering the fact that many of the so-called 華僑勢力 (Chinese merchants overseas force) are active all around the world, South-East Asia being the heart of their activity, one can understand the Fujian people's power that comes from going overseas.

share|improve this answer

thank you^^ (I was just re-reading my question and I can't help but notice that my English skills are going from bad to worse lately >.< ) –  Dandy Mar 23 '13 at 12:18

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.