Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm writing a skit but I need a counter for bowls of ramen. ひとつ ふたつ somehow sounds weird. Is there a counter for bowls?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

How significant is it when a Japanese learner says a word or phrase sounds weird? ひとつ、ふたつ、みっつ, etc. is by far the most often used way of ordering ramen in a restaurant.

玉 is the counter for the noodle part of a ramen, not for the entire bowl of ramen with noodles, soup, toppings, etc.

杯 is the counter for the whole thing --- noodles, soup and toppings. Some people use this counter for ordering ramen but it is much less common to do so than to use ひとつ、ふたつ、みっつ.

丁 is the counter almost exclusively used by the waiter/waitress to tell the kitchen how many ramen has just been ordered.

本 is almost irrelevant to the original question because it is only used to count the strands of noodle.  

share|improve this answer
Come to think of it... we use ひとつ、ふたつ、みっつ when ordering coffee, udon, yakisoba, sushi, cheeseburger, french fries and... just about anything! (...except kushi-age and yakitori, maybe?) –  Chocolate Oct 18 '13 at 4:03
“How significant is it when a Japanese learner says a word or phrase sounds weird?” What is this sentence supposed to mean? It sounds a little insulting. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Oct 18 '13 at 10:22

@Tokyo どう、どう・・・ –  Chocolate Oct 18 '13 at 10:45
add comment

Quote from 数え方の辞典 (which I have introduced here before):

ラーメン(拉麺)

数え方:本、杯(はい)、丁(ちょう)、玉(たま)

スープ・具・麺(めん)を椀(わん)や丼に盛ると「杯」で数えます。飲食店で注文を受け、景気付けに店員が「ラーメン一丁」のように「丁」で注文を数えることがあります。ばらばらの麺は「本」、1食分の麺の分量は「玉」で表します。

share|improve this answer

I take it 玉 would mostly be used in the sense of 替え玉{かえだま}? –  nkjt Mar 24 '13 at 12:20

@nkjt うどん[玉]{たま}にも「うどん[2玉]{ふたたま}買ってきて~」とかいいます。 fujimuraya.com/shopping/shop/udon/image/m0100l.jpg ←普通、これ位の大きさのが[1玉]{ひとたま}。ゆでてある「和そば」や、焼きそば・ラーメン用のゆで麺も、よく「玉」で数えます –  Chocolate May 13 '13 at 19:57

A very misleading answer for most J-leaners. One would need a near-native level proficiency to make use of it. –  Tokyo Nagoya Oct 18 '13 at 2:51

@TokyoNagoya どう、どう・・・。(← I mean, "Easy", not "How") –  Chocolate Oct 18 '13 at 10:44
まあ、OPがコンテクストを提示してないし、レストラン/ラーメン屋での会話だとも書いてないし・・・「一日にラーメン3杯食えます」って言ってるかもしれないし・・しょ‌​うがないよね~汗 ^^; –  Chocolate Oct 18 '13 at 11:03
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.