Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This headline in today's zakzak news, related to actress Miho Kanno getting married.

堺雅人&菅野美穂、“大奥婚”! 電撃ゴールイン

What is the meaning of 大奥婚? I know 大奥 and 婚 by themselves, but not together. I checked Space ALC website, but no results. Google search mostly pointed to this news, and other search engines were no help.

share|improve this question
There was a TV drama called 大奥 in the recent past. 堺雅人 was the lead. Probably related to that. –  jmac Mar 22 '13 at 4:39
菅野美穂 was also in the 2012 and the 2003 dramas. –  Dono Mar 22 '13 at 4:49
Whatever 大奥 refers to, 婚 is just short for 結婚. –  Earthliŋ Mar 22 '13 at 10:48

So its like a contraction for 大奥 and 結婚, based on the fact they were both in the recent movie 「大奥 永遠」? Not sure why that didn't occur to me since I saw the movie recently. –  user3169 Mar 22 '13 at 16:47

@user3169 I've edited out the 電撃 question. You can repost it as a separate question if you like! –  snailboat Mar 26 '13 at 21:52
add comment

1 Answer

大奥婚 is made of two words:

So you could translate it as "An Ōoku Wedding".

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.