Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

in a manga I was reading this expression appeared. It was about a lazy girl, who was thinking about getting herself a boyfriend (so that he can do the house chores for her), and then her friend replies:

"そんなホイっと見つかるもんか"

From the context I'd just guess the sentence means something like "As if it would be so easy (for you to get a boyfriend)", but it's still bugging me what the "ホイ" here means.

It would be nice if someone could tell me! :-)

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Yes, the meaning is pretty much as you explain, except I would add that it implies doing something "carelessly" or "thoughtlessly". If you look up ほいほい in the dictionary, you can find the relevant definition:

軽々しく物事を引き受けたり行なったりするさま。 「 -(と)二つ返事で引き受ける」 「何でも-(と)買ってやる」

share|improve this answer
Ah, ok, so it came from 'ほいほい', good to know^^ Katakana always confuses me :-) So basically, it means 'taking something lightheartedly' or 'thinking something will be a easy thing to do', right? Thanks a lot for the help! :-) –  Mumei Mar 20 '13 at 22:26

@Mumei: It means doing something easily rather than thinking, also it implies "carelessly" and "thoughtlessly" (look up the definition for 軽々しい). –  Jesse Good Mar 20 '13 at 23:01

Hmm, ok, so the sentence would be something like "You think you'd just find one that easily in that carefree manner?", I guess? Also, wanted to ask, is the っと just a 'spoken language' form of the usual と? –  Mumei Mar 20 '13 at 23:34
@Mumei: Where are you getting the think part from? I would translate it as Yeah, like it's that easy to find one (a boyfriend) (in a sarcastic manner). The っと is the same phenomenon as from にこにこと笑う to にこっと笑う which I believe happens in conversation (I don't know the exact details though). –  Jesse Good Mar 21 '13 at 0:09

Ah, ok, now I understand^^ Thanks a lot! :-) –  Mumei Mar 21 '13 at 8:58

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.