Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've been working on listening practice again. This time, I'm watching the first episode of an anime series called スケッチブック 〜full color's〜.

In the first episode, a certain character asks three questions, and I think all three end with . I recorded them and uploaded an MP3, and I attempted to transcribe them:

1. あっ、空{そら}! どこいくとー?

2. 空、何探しよーと?

3. 空、どうしたとー?

Here are my questions:

• Is a dialect equivalent of using to mark a question?

• Am I just hearing wrong?

(I'm sorry if the whole transcription is wrong! I'm not very good at hearing Japanese yet.)

share|improve this question
博多弁っぽいね・・ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%8D%9A%E5%A4%9A%E5%BC%81 –  Choko Mar 17 '13 at 22:08

@Chocolate Thank you for correcting my transcription :-) –  snailboat Mar 17 '13 at 22:14

1 Answer 1

up vote 1 down vote accepted

The former. と can be used to mark questions in 九州方言{きゅうしゅうほうげん} (in this case, she is speaking in 博多弁{はかたべん}, a subdialect). (More technically, it is a 準体助詞{じゅんたいじょし} like の, and shares the nominalization property, which is probably why it can be used to mark questions like that.)

share|improve this answer

People talk that way down here in Kumamoto as well.. –  ssb Mar 17 '13 at 23:36

@ssb, well indeed, as it is part of Kyuushuu after all! –  Darius Jahandarie Mar 17 '13 at 23:40

I guess what I mean to ask is if there's anything specific about this that makes it Hakata-ben rather than an ambiguous Kyushu dialect –  ssb Mar 17 '13 at 23:56

@ssb Not from the provided clip, no, I don't think. I downloaded an episode of the anime to figure out which one it was. I'm not sure how Chocolate figured it out from the clip. –  Darius Jahandarie Mar 18 '13 at 0:00

スイマセン!たまたま「博多弁っぽいかな~」って思っただけです~私は関西人なので、博多弁・熊本弁・他の九州弁の区別はつかないと思います。(でも九州の人はだいたい分‌​かるんだそうです。) –  Choko Mar 18 '13 at 1:08

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.