Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This question already has an answer here:

Title basically says it all. I think meanings are very close. Are they interchangeable? Are they appropriate for different contexts or situations? Can one be applied to animate objects and other can't? So far I can't figure out when to use one over the other. Thank you.

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by istrasci, cypher, Dono, Darius Jahandarie, snailboat Mar 13 '13 at 18:48

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

1 Answer 1

Looking at the kanji, one says "all" and the other "all parts". In that sense one can distinguish them philosophically as 全て meaning "everything" (universally) and 全部 "all" (part by part).

I think you can make out that difference when looking at examples (for example on Space ALC: 全て and 全部.)

For example,

全部あなたのせいだからね。
Everything is your fault.

The person is blamed for everything (every single thing) they did. Whereas,

全てあなたのせいだからね。

sounds like everything he did, is doing, and will do would be his fault, by default.

Universal statements, like

全てについて債務者が悪い。
He who owes, is in all the wrong.

use 全て.

share|improve this answer

Thank you. I'll consider them interchangeable then. –  dimadesu Mar 13 '13 at 19:05

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.