Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have come across two sentences in a manga that is using くん in a way that I can't seem to find any information on, in both my books and online. I am guessing this may be some sort of slang, odd grammar or a compound of words/grammar that dictionaries don't seem to pick up on.

「おめーはちょくちょくうちの晩飯 食いにくんなー」

and

「てゆーか なんで連れてくんだ?」

Slight edit: maybe this is some form of 来る?

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Yes, I believe it's a contraction of くる. Although the second example could possibly be a contraction of 連れていく depending on the context.

share|improve this answer

So, you're saying なんで連れてくんだ means なんで連れて来るんだ, "why do you take (somebody) here?" and that it could also be なんで連れて行くんだ, "Why are you taking (someone)(somewhere)?" depending on the context, right? –  Choko Mar 7 '13 at 17:19

@Chocolate: Yes, that what I meant. –  istrasci Mar 7 '13 at 17:46
OK thanks~ 私もそう思います! –  Choko Mar 7 '13 at 17:50

I think it is two different things in your two sentences:

1. くる→くん (similar sound change to わからない→わかんない)

2. shortened form of 連れていく + んだ (のだ)

Why did you get downvoted? Your answer is basically the same as mine... –  istrasci Mar 7 '13 at 16:13

I think in regular Japanese it would be:

「おめーはちょくちょくうちの晩飯 食いにくるなー」

「というか、 なんで連れていくんだ?」

I don't think in the second sentence its くる, since the る contracts to ん, if we were to reformulate the sentence it would be

「というか、なんで連れてくるだ?」

Which I think it's gramatically incorrect. Most probably this ん is the nominalizer の used in the pattern のだ and abbreviated to んだ. At least that's the way I see it =)

連れてくるんだ can be contracted to 連れてくんだ just as 何するんだよ!? can be contracted to 何すんだよ!? –  Choko Mar 7 '13 at 23:27

See I didnt know that! Always nice learning a little everyday ^^ –  Rodrigo Pará Mar 8 '13 at 13:37

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.