Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Our teacher taught us to ask for the permission to ask a question by saying「質問してもいいですか。」. Now I'm writing her an email, and would like to say something along the lines of "If I may ask a question, ...", where (...) would be a grammar question, for example.

I would have written 「質問してもよかったら、……」, but Google returns no hits at all for this specific sentence, so obviously it's not correct.

How would you say "If I may ask a question, ..."?

share|improve this question

I've also found 聞かせていただけると……, but it sounds too formal for a mail. Is it? –  Clément Mar 6 '13 at 21:32
I'd say... 「質問があるんですが、・・・」「分からないことがあるんですが、・・・」「お聞きしたいことがあるんですが、・・・」「教えていただきたいことがあるんですが、・・・」‌​(I might add 「すみません、」 and/or 「ちょっと」 before them) –  Choko Mar 7 '13 at 0:56

@Chocolate if you are writing, all the んです should be written のです。 –  oldergod Mar 7 '13 at 4:31

@oldergod スンマセンww敬語がなってなくて…最近の若者だから言葉の使い方知ら((殴 –  Choko Mar 7 '13 at 23:54

@Chocolate 日本語上手ですね –  oldergod Mar 8 '13 at 1:40
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Trying to translate your initial phrase directly may be too burdensome, but beginning a request with "If I may...," has a direct translation suitable for you:

よろしければ。。。

Here is an example, though the whole sentence is probably a bit too stiff for your purposes:

If I may, I'd like to ask you a few questions about something else.

よろしければ別のことをいくつかお尋ねしたいのですが。

Source: I searched "If I may ask" on http://eow.alc.co.jp

Please do the same if you would like to see other examples.

If you would like this response tailored to a specific quote, please provide one.

Among friends, one could say,

ちょっと聞いてもいい?。。。

share|improve this answer
I second using お尋ねしたいんですけど or variants, or for a little less formal just 質問したいんですが. 質問したいことがある is also ok, though maybe a little more direct than what he's asking for. –  ssb Mar 6 '13 at 23:32

That's an awesome answer, thanks a huge lot! I didn't know of eow.alc.co.jp at all, only new tatoeba and jisho.org. Great resource! Thanks again. –  Clément Mar 7 '13 at 0:37

perhaps on meta or in answer to other questions for resources you can find a number of sites like that. –  yadokari Mar 7 '13 at 0:53
Among friends, I think we normally say more like... 「ちょっと聞いてもいい?・・・・?」「ちょっと教えてくれない(orくれる)?・・・・?」「ちょっと教えてほしいんだけど、・・・・?」I might add 「ごめん、」 before them, instead of 「すいません、」. –  Choko Mar 7 '13 at 1:31

@Chocolate i agree, i was just trying to use some of OP's given vocab. thanx~ ps can u make a sentence like op asked using よろしければ ? i was having trouble doing it naturally. –  yadokari Mar 7 '13 at 3:02
show 5 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.