Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I know they're both polite ways to use a verb, but my materials never taught me what unique traits each one has. Is it just the tone, or is there more to it?

share|improve this question

待たれる is 可能形. Which is ability form of that verb 持つ。 お待ちになる is honorific language. –  Birkan Aras Feb 24 '13 at 8:03
@BirkanAras 待たれる is not a form of 持つ, but of 待つ. It can be honorific or passive. See forum.koohii.com/viewtopic.php?pid=130286#p130286 for some discussion. –  snailboat Feb 24 '13 at 12:26
@BirkanAras: In addition to what snailplane said, 待たれる is also not 可能形. The 可能形 of 待つ is 待てる. –  istrasci Feb 25 '13 at 15:24
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 9 down vote accepted

お…になる sounds more respectful than …れる to me. In particular, when used to ask for the listener to do something in speech (for example at a restaurant), こちらでお待ちになってください is fine, but こちらで待たれてください sounds impolite (not respectful enough) to me. I do not know whether this difference is counted as “just the tone” or not.

share|improve this answer
I agree that お〜になる is more often used when speaking to the person, and (ら)れる is more often used when speaking about the person. At least how I've seen it. –  istrasci Feb 25 '13 at 15:27
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.