Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

While translating a song, I've stumbled upon the following sentence:

落ちた希望を拾って明日に繋いでゆけば

Which got me wondering what the difference between the following two is:

1. 落ちた希望を拾って明日に繋いでゆけば

2. 落ちた希望を拾って明日に繋げば

I have a feeling that the first sentence includes a sense of "doing continually from now" based on what I've read earlier, but I am rather unsure. Is there a possible meaning which I'm missing?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Just like you say, 繋いでいく has a sense of progression, i.e. the process of "connecting to tomorrow" is intended to be continued (connecting tomorrow to the day after tomorrow, etc.).

The counterpiece to ~ていく is ~てくる, meaning that something has been continued until now.

Some phrases

頑張ってきた
I have been giving my best (all this time).

楽しんでいこう
Let's have fun (from now onwards).

I don't know of any English construction that would correspond well to this sense of progression from present into the future (~ていく) or from the past into the present (~てきた).

share|improve this answer

I hope you don't mind me asking this here, but I felt it was undeserving of another question. Within the right context, can -いく also mean "to do up until now, and continuing to do", or is the starting point of the action locked to the present? –  Daniel Safari Feb 23 '13 at 22:10
No, it is not locked to the present. The focus is on its continuing into the future. Similarly, ~てきた doesn't mean it has to end in the present. –  Earthliŋ Feb 23 '13 at 22:13
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.