Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

To me, once of the most important parts of learning a language is the ability to read the implied message behind someone's words, and part of that is knowing when they're making a point and they're just shooting the breeze and explaining things. I know of a few, like から and ので, but does anyone have insight to offer, in this respect?

share|improve this question

closed as not a real question by Flaw, Dono, istrasci, cypher, snailboat Feb 28 '13 at 14:23

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I think this question might be a little too broad. Basically you're just asking for a list of grammatical structures and phrases that indicate rhetoric. The best you'll get is a few examples rather than an exhaustive list which provides a full answer to your question, if such an answer is even possible. Have you tried looking through grammar references? –  ssb Feb 23 '13 at 10:49

I have, and there are several volumes on the subject in my collection. I would also, however, like to add to my database, so I can gives others samples,so they can zero in specific points in what someone's saying, and form an appropriate response, in addition to getting the ball rolling on learning future structures –  Roy Fuentes Feb 23 '13 at 11:24

3 Answers 3

I guess these might fit your description they are phrases you would say when arguing.

それで - and that's why...
だったら - If that's the case then...
かと言って - but even so...
強いて言えば - If I had to say...
となると - If that's the case then...
それにしても - Even so...
いずれにしても - In any case...
というわけで - In conclusion...
share|improve this answer

I know that these don't necessarily follow a general pattern, so it's worth mentioning a few more:

• つまるところ・つまり - In other words/to sum up
  • 要するに・と - basically/what you're trying to say is
  • 必ずしも〜というわけではない - It is not necessarily the case that ~
  • どちらにせ・何にしろ and all of the equivalent phrasings - Either way
  • あえて言えば - One could go so far as to say...

I agree that this question is probably too broad. But here are a couple examples I can think of off the top of my head.

• したがって
  • (した/という)結果で
  • なぜ(なら/かというと)

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.