Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I mean I understand all the parts separately but I can't lay my finger on the core meaning of the sentence.

Whole message:

Hi I'm maho !
17years old, from Japan.
your Japanese is good !
my English is poor.

日本語で送っても読めますか?

I want to be your pen pal.
Good bye

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 6 down vote accepted

日本語で送っても読めますか?

istrasci’s first translation is good:

(Even) If I send the (mail) in Japanese, will you be able to read it?

(It is a little silly to ask this question in Japanese, because if the answer is “no,” you are not expected to understand the question….)

The で in the sentence is a case marker which signifies place, time, means, cause, and so on, and in this case, it signifies means.

istrasci raised an interesting point: 日本語で (in Japanese) does not state a means of sending a mail. Means of sending a mail include “by air mail,” “by sea mail,” “electronically,” and so on, but “in Japanese” is a means of composing a mail, not a means of sending a composed mail.

However, (手紙を/メールを)送る does not always refer to the mere action of sending an already composed mail. It can collectively refer to the action of composing and sending a mail. In this sense, 日本語で indeed describes a means of this broader action.

As an aside, I note that case marker で etymologically arises from copula. Slightly more precisely, case marker で originates from にて and copula だ originates from にてあり, and these にて are the same thing (the combination of case marker に and particle て). But we usually distinguish case marker で from copula when we talk about the Japanese grammar. As dainichi wrote, this で is no more a connective form of copula than all で particles are.

share|improve this answer
add comment

"(Even) If I send the (mail) in Japanese, will you be able to read it?"

Note that although "in Japanese" (日本語で) is not a method of sending something (such as air-mail, ground-mail, carrier-pigeon, etc. are), @TsuyoshiIto points out that it's (become?) acceptable for 送る in this case to mean not just the sending of the mail, but the entire process of composing and sending the mail (a "shorthand" for メールを書いて送る). In reference to this entire process, then 日本語で can be used to describe the means of this broader action.

share|improve this answer
I don't think it's the connective form of です... –  Hyperworm Feb 20 '13 at 21:00
"Sending a letter in Japanese" [sic] sounds like good English to me. Similarly, "I will reply to you in English". My point was that, in my opinion, で is not limited to "methods of conveyance" as you call it. –  Earthliŋ Feb 20 '13 at 22:58
You have the point that technically, we do not send it in some language, but we write it in some language and send it. Similarly, technically, 日本語で送る does not describe the means of sending a letter. Yet, we sometimes consider writing a letter as part of the action of sending a letter and say 日本語で送る to mean what would be 日本語で書いて送る if we made a distinction between the actions of writing and sending, and this で is still the case particle which describes means. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Feb 20 '13 at 23:23
This で is no more a connective form of copula than all で particles are. Sure, in "Sending a letter in Japanese" you can consider "in Japanese" part of the NP "a letter in Japanese", but how about "Can I send it in Japanese"? You won't convince anyone that "it in Japanese" is a NP. –  dainichi Feb 21 '13 at 5:21
@ssb: No, で is a particle in both sentences. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Feb 21 '13 at 12:28
show 10 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.