Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

毎日は楽しくなりました。

Would you translate this: Every day was fun.

or

Every day became fun.

I know that なる can be used to say that A becomes B. But in this example what is the nuance of the meaning of なる?

share|improve this question
Can you make the question more specific? This site is not for translation but for finer points in the Japanese languages. If you just want a translation, please use translation services. See also meta discussion. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jun 14 '11 at 12:47

(Please read “Japanese languages” as “the Japanese language” in my previous comment. I wrote it incorrectly while editing the comment before posting.) –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jun 14 '11 at 13:04

@Tsuyoshi: you can edit comments too. –  crunchyt Jun 14 '11 at 13:38

@crunchyt: A user can edit a comment only in the first five minutes after he/she posts it (unless the user is a moderator). It was too late when I realized the mistake. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jun 14 '11 at 13:53

Thank you for the edit. But I find this Japanese sentence unnatural (mostly because of the part 毎日は). Can you add a context where it is used? I know that the 毎日は part is not the main concern of the question, but the context may be useful to answer your question, too. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jun 14 '11 at 14:50
show 1 more comment

2 Answers

up vote 6 down vote accepted

毎日は楽しくなりました generally makes it seem like the context is:

1) everyday life was not much fun before

2) a particular thing happened and pretty much changed it over night

3) everyday life is now fun.

Thus, it's difficult to actually translate this into an English sentence that contains all that context. Something like "everyday life became fun".

As for Kdansky's post above, the てしまった form could add more emphasis on the fact that "yeah, it really DID become fun". However, the てきた form that he used implies something slightly different: that it wasn't a "particular thing" that changed the situation "overnight", but rather that everyday life steadily became more enjoyable, and now it is fun.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Every day was fun.

Clearly.

Wouldn't "Every day became fun." become on of the following?

毎日は楽しくなってしまいました。
毎日は楽しくなってしまった。
毎日は楽しくなってきた。

Though I am not sure which one is best, and they feel very female for some reason (but I'm not good at female/male distinctions).

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.