Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've tried Googling for Japanese/Japanese dictionary definitions of this phrase, but can only find usages so far, which haven't helped.

More context:

"俺たち職人の腕が光る"

I think from context that the speaker is saying "so that us artisans do well / look good / show how good we are", or something in that area, but dictionaries haven't been helpful so far - hoping Japanese StackExchange can solve the riddle!

Thanks.

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

There are two things to define in 腕が光る:

The latter is, I think, figurative in the same sense as English shine ("To distinguish oneself in an activity or a field; excel"). Put the two words together with , and you have a phrase meaning something like "to stand out as superior in skill or ability".

I'm basing this entirely on dictionary entries, by the way. I think my interpretation is right (which is why I'm posting it as an answer), but if I've made a mistake, I would appreciate it if someone pointed it out :-)

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.