Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the appropriate way to express your best wishes to a woman who is having a baby?

(This is for a colleague, if there are different ways depending on different contexts please explain those, too).

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

A usual phrase to say is お体を大事にしてください (take care of yourself).

Another common phrase is 元気な赤ちゃんを産んでください (I wish you to have a healthy baby born), but some people avoid this phrase because it sounds as if a baby with a congenital disease were undesirable or unacceptable.

share|improve this answer

Could you just rephrase it to convey that you wish for the best outcome that doesn't carry the implication you mentioned? Something like 赤ちゃんが無事に産まれますように祈ります/願います? –  istrasci Feb 15 '13 at 15:49

@istrasci: Hmm, I am not sure. 赤ちゃんが無事に産まれるように願っています sounds okay, but it sounds a little scary to me because it sounds somewhat like “Although it is 50-50 whether you will have a baby born safely or not, I hope it will turn out to be safe.” It might be just me, though. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Feb 15 '13 at 22:25

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.