Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

My Japanese textbook only lists じゅっぷん. Our Japanese sensei (a quite old woman) says じっぷん but notes that it's optionally じゅっぷん. Our TAs all say じゅっぷん.

I understand that Middle Chinese 十 was "jip" and the thing went through じふ->じう->じゆう->じゅう, but what about 十分?

Clearly じっぷん seems to be the etymologically correct pronunciation, but which one is the more modern-day official and widespread pronunciation (i.e. more commonly used and accepted), rather than simply historically correct?

Edit: How about 10分? Is the more common pronunciation of 10分 different?

share|improve this question
Kanji 十分 is two different words anyway, so the question is not very clear. If you mean ten minutes, you should write 10分. –  user18597 Feb 14 '13 at 1:27

I'd say this is the etymology of じゅっぷん: /jufupun/ --(devoice+drop of u)--> */jufpun/ --(促音便 repair of CC sequence)--> /juppun/. Namely the devoice/drop and 音便 occurred before the /hV/->/wV/->/V/ shift. But this is only my own analysis. –  Darius Jahandarie Feb 14 '13 at 6:26
じっぷん started as /jipupun/ (しふふん) in OJ. The /pup/ probably became /pp/ very early on. –  user54609 Feb 14 '13 at 12:50

I always use 充分 to avoid confusion. –  istrasci Feb 14 '13 at 15:22
こんな記事がありましたけど参考になりますか?detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1020010555 –  Choko Feb 14 '13 at 16:50

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

I guess we can put it to a vote.

Technically, じっぷん seems to be the correct choice. Posts on this page say that in a 漢和辞典 じっ is listed as a reading of 十, but じゅっ isn't. Moreover, the page claims that about half of the TV announcers (for baseball) do take care to pronounce it じっ.

I don't have a TV, so I don't have an opinion on that, but in daily life, I think I hear じゅっぷん almost exclusively.

share|improve this answer

"Technically, じっぷん seems to be the correct choice" - what? It's a human language not a computer program. The word "technically" is ridiculous. –  user18597 Feb 14 '13 at 1:28

Technically in the sense of going by dictionary definitions. You may reword my answer, if you feel compelled to do so. –  Earthliŋ Feb 14 '13 at 1:35
@user18597: The word "technically" is being used correctly here. It does not reflect on the Japanese language, it reflects on the OP's perception of what appears to be correct according to reference-able sources. So let's be chill and focus on the Japanese instead of the English. –  Questioner Feb 14 '13 at 1:42

Since when did language correctness depend upon people from a community website voting it that way? –  istrasci Feb 14 '13 at 15:19

Correctness is in perception, and perception translates to votes... –  Zhen Lin Feb 14 '13 at 17:28

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.