Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

If おかげで / "okagede" is an expression that means

thanks to ...;  owing to ...;  because of ...;

and the correct (?) kanji that this expression derived from is

陰 as in お陰で

which by itself means

shade;  yin;  negative;  sex organs;  secret;  shadow

what is the relation between the meaning of the kanji and the expression?

(apparently お蔭で · 御蔭で · 御陰で are also kanji precedents)

Possible clues:

(perhaps 陰 could mean "back" or "behind" in the past?)

(and 陰 is the Yin in YinYang?)

share|improve this question
gogen-allguide.com/o/okagesama.html –  Dono Feb 12 '13 at 6:09
Quote: おかげさまは、他人から受ける利益や恩恵を意味する「お陰」に「様」をつけて、丁寧にした言葉である。古くから「陰」は神仏などの偉大なものの陰で、その庇護(ひご)を受‌​ける意味として使われている。これは、「御影(みかげ)」が「神霊」や「みたま」「死んだ人の姿や肖像」を意味することにも通じる。接頭語に「お」がついて、「おかげ」とな‌​ったのは室町時代末頃からで、悪い影響をこうむった時にも「おかげさま」が使われるようになったのは江戸時代からである。 –  Dono Feb 12 '13 at 6:39
@yadokari: Not let you copy and paste? I didn't believe you until I tried it. I didn't even know this was possible. –  istrasci Feb 12 '13 at 15:08
yeah some japanese sites are extremely user unfriendly –  yadokari Feb 12 '13 at 18:33
Depending on how bad you want to copy the text, here's how you can do it. Save the page to your computer, then look at the page source (ctrl+u on Firefox). You have to scan through the HTML code a bit, but you can copy any text without restriction. –  Dave M G Feb 14 '13 at 1:56
show 7 more comments

1 Answer

お陰

I asked my Japanese friend this one a long time ago. It is just as loose as you imagine - It's your friend who 'got your back'. The backup 'hiding in the dark'. The 'secret weapon' to help you out.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.