Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

e.g. what makes 相手になる different from 相手にする. I know that 「~になる」 is to be/become something, and 「~をする」 is to do something, but what does each imply when used?

share|improve this question

(The 相手 in 相手になる is the subject, and the 相手 in 相手にする is the object... as you might know...) Are you asking about 「~"に"する」 or 「~"を"する」?Because the 相手 in 相手にする and 相手をする are not the same person. –  Choko Feb 11 '13 at 0:33

@Chocolate: this is an ill-chosen example I think. The question seems to be about adverbs so I used a different adverb in my answer. –  user18597 Feb 11 '13 at 0:33
Oh.. I think 相手に isn't an adverb but.. is 暖かく an adverb? –  Choko Feb 11 '13 at 0:40
By "The 相手 in 相手になる is the subject, and the 相手 in 相手にする is the object", I meant to say-- "In 'AがBの相手になる', A becomes the 相手. In 'AがBを相手にする', B becomes the 相手." (And, in 'AがBの相手をする' A becomes the 相手.) Here, になる is like "to become~", and をする is like "to play a role as~" and にする is like "to make~" –  Choko Feb 11 '13 at 0:53

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Suru is active and implies somebody does something, but naru is passive and implies something happens. For example,

atatakaku suru = make it warm
atatakaku naru = get warm.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.